The first time I heard about fish tacos was the summer of 2003 and since I wasn’t a big fan of fish (of any kind) I wasn’t chopping at the bit to give it a try.
That was until the moment I stepped into a little place called Rubio’s!
I was living in San Diego at the time and my sweet friend treated me to lunch one day. This was the same friend who had mentioned fish tacos the minute I arrived in sunny California. She knew I was going to be a hard sale, so she had to trick me into trying it by NOT telling me where we were going to lunch.
This was definitely one of those “Don’t knock it till you try it” moments. I was instantly hooked and completely obsessed. In fact, any time someone asks me what I miss most about San Diego, I ALWAYS say the Fish Tacos from Rubio’s.
When we decided to add more fish to our diets I knew immediately it had to be in the form of TACOS! The recipe my husband and I put together is one of the EASIEST and can be on the table in under 30 minutes. That’s sure a win in our books.
What makes these tacos even more delicious is the crunchy coleslaw mix and creamy sauce. You’ll want to serve these every week!
- 4-6 Tilapia Filets
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
Creamy Lime Sauce
- 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup of sour cream
- 2 tblsp lime juice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- fresh cilantro
- Mix spices, for fish, together in a bowl.
- Rinse and pat dry fish filets. Sprinkle a generous amount of seasonings on both sides of filet.
- Cook either in a skillet, with a little olive oil, or cook on the grill. We cooked ours on a flat outdoor griddle.
- Allow fish to cook 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Cut fish into pieces, place in a corn tortilla, add shredded cabbage and a drizzle of the creamy lime sauce.
They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts. – Acts 2:28