I LOVE baking cookies. I did as a young girl, too. There was something natural about it for me. Like it was something I was meant to do. Here’s the funny part, I loved baking them, but I DID NOT EAT THEM. Crazy right?! I didn’t start enjoying the taste of chocolate chip cookies till I was an adult, but, I have far made up for it since then.
My chocolate chip cookies have changed a bit over the years and this recipe is hands down my favorite. I refer to them as my version of a Cowboy Cookie. They are packed with chocolate, oats, and pecans. And they are BIG!
One of the great things about this cookie recipe, here, is it’s all mixed in one bowl! No need to measure wet ingredients and dry ingredients in separate bowls. Makes clean up so much easier.
You want to start by placing your 2 sticks of butter in a large microwave safe bowl. (This will be the bowl you will use to mix the remainder ingredients in.) You want your butter slightly melted. I wish I could tell you why this matters, I can’t, I just know the cookies turn out perfect every time.
After you cream together your butter, sugars, salt, eggs, baking soda, and vanilla, you are simply going to add your flour, chocolate chips, pecans, and oatmeal. Stir with a wooden spoon or bakers dough whisk. (My favorite!)
TIP: Add 2 FULL bags of chocolate chips. One bag of milk chocolate and one bag of semi-sweet. I know it sounds like a lot, but TRUST me. You’ll thank me later, so will your family.
You want your cookies to be quite large in size, so use an ice-cream scoop or large spoon to scoop dough and place on cookie sheet. This also helps with making sure the cookies are the same size. They will bake more evenly.
Place cookies in a preheated 350 degree oven. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Keep an eye on them! Everyone’s oven is different and you don’t want burnt cookies. Take them out when the outer edges are golden brown and the center looks slightly undercooked. Cool on a wire rack. Go ahead……try one before you call the family in, that first one out of the oven is always the best, and you deserve it.
The Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie
- 2 Sticks of butter (slightly melted)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 bag milk chocolate chips
- 1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 – 1 cup quick cooking oats (whichever you prefer)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
1. Slightly melt butter in a microwaveable bowl. Then cream together butter, sugars, baking soda, salt, eggs, and vanilla till smooth.
2. Add flour, chocolate chips, oats, and pecans. Stir with a wooden spoon or baker dough whisk. This might take a little elbow grease.
3. Use an ice-cream scoop to place dough on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
4. Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes. Remember: golden brown along the edges means they are done.
5. Cool on a wire rack and enjoy!
The broke bread in their homes and ate with glad and sincere hearts. – Acts 2:28