I have been working on keeping the cozy, through out our home since Christmas ended. Have you ever heard of HYGGE? My friends were quite surprised that I hadn’t heard of it till now, but I’ve never really been on time when it comes to trends. But this is definitely one I can get on board with, in fact, I think I was created for this!
HYGGE – A Danish word that means coziness. It is a feeling more than a word – it is the ritual of enjoying life’s simple pleasures and making the ordinary more meaningful, beautiful and special.
I’ve been bringing in a HYGGE feel into our home by adding more candle light glow, warm oversized blankets to cuddle up with on the couch, enjoying a homemade latte in the afternoon in my favorite mug, reading a good book in the evening, even wearing fuzzy socks to keep my feet warm! (this is huge cause I can’t stand socks!)
And what speaks coziness more than a good old fashioned chocolate cake, sitting beautifully in a cake stand, waiting to be served to friends and family? It’s not a secret that any time I’m in the mood for cake (which is all the time), it’s always a chocolate cake I want.
Not just ANY chocolate cake either. I prefer a very simple, “lick-the-bowl-clean” delicious style of cake. In fact, are you sitting down for this?? My favorite chocolate cake starts with a box mix! It’s true. But there are extras and tricks that I add to the mix that makes this cake so delectable. And when you find something that you love so much, why mess with a good thing?
Here’s how to make a box cake mix taste like it came from the bakery:
- Use milk instead of water (whole milk is best)
- Add one more egg than the instructions call for
- Add a package of instant pudding mix to create an incredibly moist cake that you will want to stand over and eat straight from the pan!
Now let’s chat frosting for just a moment. Are you a “more frosting and less cake” or “more cake and less frosting” kind of friend? I’m all about that frosting! Especially buttercream. This chocolate frosting is smooth, rich, sweet, and oh so good! It compliments the cake perfectly. You won’t be able to stop at just one slice.
Old Fashioned Chocolate Cake
- 1 box Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1 1/4 cups of whole milk
- 1/3 cup Canola Oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 3-4 Tablespoons milk or heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup melted semi-sweet chocolate
- Mix cake mix with ingredients listed above. Combine with a whisk for 2 minutes or with electric mixer.
- Pour into 2 greased 8inch round pans. Bake according to box directions. Let cool on wire racks, completely, before frosting.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together butter, powdered sugar, milk, melted chocolate and vanilla. Blend until smooth. Add more powdered sugar if frosting is too thin. *Frosting should be thick and not slide off cake.
- Frost cake and enjoy!
They broke bread in their homes and ate with glad and sincere hearts. – Acts 2:28
2 thoughts on “Old Fashioned Chocolate Cake”
This looks PERFECT!
It so is!!!!