We had a birthday celebration this weekend. My youngest girl turned 11! I know that’s not necessarily a milestone birthday, but every birthday is big for this girl. She was born 10 weeks early in order to save my life and hers, entering this world at a whopping 2lb 11oz and spending her first seven weeks of life in the NICU. But look at her now!
In our house, we celebrate birthdays with favorite meals and favorite cakes. This birthday girl wanted a Chocolate Chocolate Chip Bundt cake from the infamous Nothing Bundt Cake company. But I, as her mother and avid baker, wanted to try my hand at my very own bundt cake. Let me tell you………IT WAS SPOT ON! The flavor, the texture, the icing, it tasted just like the one we have purchased from the store itself. My children and husband declared that bundt cakes will now be THE birthday cakes of our family.
This recipe calls for Instant Chocolate Pudding, sour cream, AND mayonnaise. (I know, I know, but stick with me.) I’ve used sour cream in cake recipes before but never mayo or instant pudding. GAME CHANGER! Granted, this was not a gluten-free or paleo recipe, but I’m all for everything in moderation.
I haven’t even mentioned that I made TWO of these cakes on the same day. Not because there was a baker error. Nope. More like there was a dog error. Our Australian Shepherd and Pit mix (Remington) chose to eat half of the birthday cake while it was cooling, and while mom was folding clothes in the bedroom. HALF, PEOPLE! HALF! Needless to say I did not think this behavior was cute in any way. I believe he regretted his decision the remainder of the day.
So second cake went in the oven and came out just as beautiful as the first. This cake was super simple to put together. I am now planning for the next one to try. I’m thinking Pumpkin Spice.
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake
- 1 Box Devil’s Food Cake
- 1 3.9 oz Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix
- 3/4 cup of sour cream
- 1/4 cup of mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/2 cup Canola Oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups of milk chocolate chips
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 stick of butter, softened
- 8 oz of cream cheese, softened
- 2-3 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
- Place all ingredients (except chocolate chips), for cake, in a large mixing bowl. You can use a stand mixer or hand held. Blend/Mix ingredients together till well incorporated.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour cake batter into a well greased bundt pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. Be sure and check before time is up, I found mine to be done just before the designated time.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Once removed, let rest on a wire rack till completely cool.
- While the cake is resting, blend frosting ingredients in a medium size bowl.
- Place frosting in a piping back with a large round tip and pipe generous lines all around the cake.